The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) on Sunday asserted that a thorough probe is necessary regarding the alleged VIP treatment being provided to former All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) general secretary, V. Sasikala. She is currently lodged in Parappana Agrahara central prison, over a corruption case.
“The report that has been presented by the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) (Prisons), D. Roopa is indeed shocking. Like Karnataka Chief Minister, Siddaramaiah said, a probe is necessary into the matter, after which necessary action needs to be taken,” DMK spokesperson Saravanan said.
Lashing out at his rival party, Saravanan alleged that this is not the first time such an incident has come to light, adding that the AIADMK believes money can get them out of any situation.
“This is not the first time such an incident is happening. Sasikala previously has faked illness and avoided prison term. In this sense, it is not at all surprising. The AIADMK’s attitude is such that money can be used to bail them out of any crisis, this attitude is of extreme concern,” he said.
A recent report by DIG (Prisons) D. Roopa had asserted that a bribe worth Rs 2 crore was given to prison officials by Sasikala for, including the Director General (Prisons), in order to avail special facilities in Parappana Agrahara central prison.
Roopa, in a report to Director General (Prisons) H.N. Satyanarayana Rao, had said there are speculations that Sasikala paid bribe to prison officials to get special facilities for herself with rumours also of the DG being a beneficiary himself.
To this regard, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah assured that strict action would be taken against the guilty, while taking cognizance of allegations of irregularities in the Bengaluru central prison.
Siddaramaiah said he has ordered a high-level inquiry into the matter.
“Request all to await the outcome of this inquiry. Strict action will be taken against any person found guilty of wrongdoing,” he said.
On one hand, where Rao has categorically denied all the charges, Roopa, on the other, has maintained her stand, saying that she has no issue with an inquiry taking place into it.
The letter, apart from the information about Sasikala, also talks about many other illegal instances inside the prison:
- A special kitchen has been set up for Sasikala, which is against the rule of the jail.
- Roopa has also mentioned about stamp paper scam accused Abdul Kareem too getting special facilities. “Earlier, he was on wheelchair and court allowed people for his assistance. But now, when he is fine, why is this continuing? In fact, three or four undertrials are there to serve him, who even gave him hands and feet massage,” the letter stated.
- She also said that she got medical check-up of jail inmates done and in the drug test it has come to light that many convict prisoners are using various types of drug kits in the jail.
- She even exposed that a prisoner in the jail had tried to sexually assault a nurse in the hospital while he was bought for check-up, but no action was taken over it.
- Roopa even pointed out that prisoners are harassing doctors for fake reports stating they be shifted to hospital citing health reasons.
- She also said that the DGP was trying to interfere with her work. She said, a memo was sent by the DGP to her seeking an explanation on why she went to Central Jail on July 10.
Roopa has also sent a report to additional chief secretary DGP prisons and home secretary to take a disciplinary action against the guilty.