Roger Federer made an extravagant comeback after winning the gentlemen’s singles final of Wimbledon 2017 by defeating Marin Cilic of Croatia by the score of 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 on Sunday. He now becomes the first Tennis player in the history of tennis to win 8 Wimbledon titles.
Currently, ranked number 5 by WTA, Swiss tennis sensation Roger Federer won the title after 5 years. Fans were dubious about his career with his ordinary performances in past couple of years, but by winning this title for the 8th time he once again proved that he is the legend who will keep coming back with best of his efforts.
Here are few records that Roger Federer holds:
- He is one of four players to win Grand Slams on all three surfaces Hard, Grass and Clay.
- He is the only male player to reach the finals of Wimbledon for 11 times.
- Federer is regarded as the best Grass court player ever with 16 Grass court titles.
- He has played most number of Finals (29).
- 24 Consecutive tournament finals victory to his name.
- He once held the rank one position for record 302 weeks.
- All 4 Grand Slam finals in one season.
Here are few facts about the King of Wimbledon:
Apart from Tennis, he is also a skilful Badminton, Cricket and football player.
He is the first tennis player from Switzerland to win a Grand Slam title
2006 was the golden year for Federer where he won 12 single titles with an impressive record of 92-5.
He is married to former WTA player, Mirka Vavrinec and he is a father of twins
He established ‘Roger Federer Foundation’ in 2003 which provides relief operations such as food, shelter and basic necessities. He is also a brand ambassador for UNICEF.