Lakhimpur Kheri: The post-mortem reports confirmed rape and strangulation of the two Dalit minor sisters who were found hanging from a tree in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri district.
Earlier, Local villagers and the girls’ family marched a protest and blocked the road demanding justice for the victims.
- Sanjeev Kumar, SP, confirmed that the minors were murdered after being raped.
- He further added that the post-mortem report added “death due to asphyxia as a result of ante mortem strangulation.”
- The father of the girls demanded justice and said that the culprits should be hanged.
- He further demanded a compensation of 1 crore from the government and a government job for one of the family members.
- According to reports, six people have been arrested in the case and they are identified as Chotu, Junaid, Sohail, Hafizul, Karimuddin and Arif.
- The family of the deceased has accused four men of rape and murder and staged a demonstration at the Nighasan crossing, a few kilometres from the village.
- FIR has been filed against four people under IPC sections relating to murder and rape, and also under the stringent Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
- The mother of the girls has told the media and the police that the accused forcibly took away her daughters on motorcycles.
- Lakhimpur Kheri superintendent of police (SP) Sanjiv Suman, along with the police force, rushed to the protest site and assured villagers that strict action will be taken against the accused.
- Lucknow range inspector general (IG) of police Laxmi Singh, while talking to ANI, said, “Dead bodies of two girls were found hanging from a tree in a field outside a village in Lakhimpur Kheri. No injuries were found on the bodies.”
- The bodies have been sent for post-mortem and reports are awaited.
- “Other things to be ascertained after post-mortem. We’ll try to expedite the probe,” IG further said.
- The police officials presented there urged the villagers to call off their roadblock and cooperate with the post-mortem examination.
- Meanwhile, following the matter, Congress has questioned the law and order in the state.
- Expressing her grief over the incident, Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra slammed the state government and said, “The incident of murder of two sisters in Lakhimpur (UP) is heart-wrenching. The relatives say that those girls were abducted in broad daylight. Giving false advertisements in newspapers and TV every day does not improve law and order. After all, why are heinous crimes against women increasing in UP?”