Mumbai: Preparations for the first edition of the Women’s Premier League (WPL) are underway as 409 players are set to go under the hammer during the auction of the inaugural edition of the league.
All you need to know about Women’s Premier League 2023:
- The auctions for WPL will be conducted on February 13.
- The matches are set to begin from March 4 to March 26 this year.
- A total of 22 games will be played with the Brabourne Stadium and DY Patil Stadium being the hosts of the marquee tournament.
- In auctions this year, a list of 1,525 players registered out of which 409 players made it to the final lists.
- Out of 409 players, 246 are Indians and 163 are overseas players of which 8 players are from associate nations.
- The total number of capped players is 202, uncapped players are 199, and 8 are from associate nations.
- Five teams will compete in the auctions with a maximum of 90 slots available.
- Each team requires to pick between 15 to 18 players in the squad. Seven players can be overseas.
- ₹50 lakh is the highest reserve price with 24 players choosing to be slotted in the highest bracket.
- The top bracket includes Harmanpreet Kaur, Smriti Mandhana, Deepti Sharma and India’s Under-19 T20 World Cup-winning captain Shafali Verma.
- Ellyse Perry, Sophie Ecclestone, Sophie Devine and Deandra Dottin are among the 19 players slotted at the top bracket.
- Out of five franchises, three are from the Men’s IPL, namely Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore, and Delhi Capitals.
- A purse of ₹12 crore each is allotted to each franchise in the inaugural edition of WPL.
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news
For viral videos and Latest trends subscribe to NewsMobile YouTube Channel and Follow us on Instagram