Ahmedabad: India continued their dominance over Pakistan in ODI World Cup history by clinching a resounding seven-wicket victory at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Saturday.
This remarkable win marked India’s largest margin of victory by wickets against their arch-rivals in the history of ODI World Cups, extending their flawless record to a staggering eight consecutive triumphs over Pakistan in this prestigious tournament.
Led by captain Rohit Sharma’s impressive knock of 86 runs off 63 deliveries, while Shreyas Iyer scored a crucial half century to chase down the target in just 30.3 overs showcasing their cricketing prowess.
India, having won all three matches in the tournament so far, now stand at the top of the points table with six points.
Earlier in the first innings, despite Pakistan getting off to a strong start without losing any early wickets, the Indian bowlers made a magical comeback to restrict Pakistan to 191 runs at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Saturday.
- India wins by seven wickets over Pakistan at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Saturday. This remarkable win extends India’s perfect-win record to 8-0.
- The Babar Azam-led side was eventually all out for 191 in the highly anticipated match.
- Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Kuldeep Yadav, Hardik Pandya, and Ravindra Jadeja all played crucial roles, each securing two wickets, to propel India into a commanding position and limit Pakistan to a low total.
- The Pakistan captain notched up a half-century, while Mohammad Rizwan was just one run short of his fifty. Additionally, Imam ul Haq made a valuable contribution with 36 runs. However, the rest of the Pakistani batsmen faced difficulty scoring against the formidable Indian bowling lineup.
- Ꮪhubman Gill included in playing 11. Replaces Ishan Kishan.
- While the Indian pace attack has fearsome names like Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Shardul Thakur and Hardik Pandya, Pakistan’s pace attack also has developed expectations because of performances and the high pace of Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali and Naseem Shah.
- While Naseem is out due to an injury in the World Cup, his partners in pace have largely struggled without him.
- In four matches of WC so far, including two warm-up matches, Shaheen has leaked 128 runs in 22 overs at an economy of 5.18 and has just taken two wickets in the tournament so far. He leaked 66 runs against Sri Lanka, which was a high-scoring match. He failed to pick-up wickets in warm-up matches.
- Haris Rauf in these four matches, has given away 240 runs at an economy rate of 7.5 runs per over in 32 overs. He has managed to take six wickets in the tournament including warm-up games, but his economy rate is a concern.
- India has dominated the head-to-head record in ODI World Cup matches with ‘Men in Blue’ winning all seven games against the arch-rival, boasting a 100 per cent win record till now.
India squad: Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya (vc), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav
Pakistan squad: Babar Azam (c), Shadab Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Abdullah Shafique, Mohammad Rizwan, Saud Shakeel, Iftikhar Ahmed, Salman Ali Agha, Mohammad Nawaz, Usama Mir, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Mohammad Wasim